Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Fish out of Water: Spirituality on a Secular Campus

One could say during my childhood I lived at our church. Sunday was worship service, Monday was Youth Night Out, Tuesday was choir practice, Wednesday was bible study night, and with two days of rest, Sunday began the week all over again. Before I came to college, my "walk" as a Christian was not easily jogged by outside influences. I lived at home so my schedule mostly revolved around the schedule of the family. And if Momma said it's time to go to church, say grace before eating, pray before bed, etc...then that's exactly what happened.

However, I eventually came to college, and my schedule became my schedule. Sometimes I woke up early enough to attend Sunday morning worship...and sometimes, I didn't. Because my university does not sanction me to attend religious activities, the decision to go or not to go was purely based upon my conviction. However, I soon learned that whatever I decided would eventually affect my walk.

Many college students are faced with this dilemma, especially those who attend school on a secular campus. While there are many reasons why students may practice, not practice, or become indecisive about religion, sometimes it is the secular campus culture that may make a student question or grow stronger about their chosen religion.

In a 2008 article in The Daily Californian at UC Berkeley, "Students Try to Reconcile Religion with Campus Culture" highlights some of the issues that students face on a secular campus. There are so many ways that a secular campus can affect the relationship between students and religion. I found the article very interesting and will give a brief snapshot of the four students in the article:


Submerge oneself in a religious environment

A devout Christian, a female student felt pressure from her professors and peers to conform to a secular lifestyle. So she joined a Christian sorority. She says that she uses the group to learn and grow stronger in her faith, and also socialize in a uncompromising environment.


A member of a culture that does not embrace spirituality

A male student, who practiced Christianity before coming to the university, finds it hard to be as devout as he was because of the organization and culture he belongs to. The university's band is known for partying and he feels it's easier to just go along with the lifestyle.


Create a culture inside a culture

Another male student also belongs to the band and understands the lifestyle and culture the band has. So he forms a bible study group for Christians who are in the band as well.


Reconsidering one's life decisions

A male student, who was once Christian, has allowed himself to ask questions and research why he believes what he believed. Because of this exploration that he feels happened because of the nature of a secular campus, he has become an atheist.


These are just four different scenarios that can play out for college students on nonreligious campuses. I think that it is important for student affairs professionals to take spirituality into heavy consideration when counseling students and creating programs to further student development.


Link to article:

http://www.dailycal.org/article/103039/students_try_to_reconcile_religion_with_campus_cul

No comments:

Post a Comment